A KEY TO SUCCESS
LIGHTING AND SALES
THE EFFECTS OF LIGHT AND PURCHASE DECISIONS
It is no longer news that lighting is an important part of shop design and plays a role in influencing consumer behaviour. What’s more important is the effect of lighting at the direct point of sale – in the changing rooms.
LOSS OF SALES CAUSED BY
Numerous studies show that poor lighting when trying on clothes in retail stores leads to an average of 40% of previously willing customers leaving the store without making a purchase – 72% of whom indicated that they did not like the lighting in the changing rooms. The trying on of clothes is the most neglected part of the sales process. And, according to sales researcher Andreas Steinle, lighting is the biggest blunder (despite the fact that business success and good lighting are closely related in the retail sector).
So even if the shop’s general lighting concept is well thought out, the decision to buy a product is always made in front of the mirror in the changing room. This makes the lighting effect, that feel-good factor and a realistic reflection of the clothing in different lighting situations all the more important. For women in particular, it is the overall impression of their own reflection that makes them choose whether or not to buy – not just the way the clothes fit or how they are cut. This requires lighting that looks like daylight to allow customers to decide on casual outfits or business wear.
Evening wear is usually worn when there is muted artificial lighting and the light in front of the mirror should correspond with this. Dimmed lighting is also in demand when trying on underwear and swimwear, as customers often find bright, cold lighting uncomfortable. By imitating natural evening light, the customer can also feel at home outside of their own four walls. Incorrect lighting created by ceiling spotlights, for example, casts unpleasant shadows over the face and highlights dents on the legs.
Accurate colour reproduction is also a key point: Dark blue and black or very dark shades of red are often indistinguishable in warm artificial lighting, and this leads to frustration and customer exchanges. Cold neon light, on the other hand, makes the skin appear pale and green, leaving customers looking ill and feeling unattractive.
THE SOLUTION? lyz for fashion
1 MIRROR FOR BETTER SALES
FLEXIBLE LIGHTING SCENARIOS
- Perfect lighting in changing rooms with a switchable light to simulate three lighting scenarios (a mixed light for casual outfits; a warm white light for evening events (theatre, bar, parties, etc.); and a cold light/day light for final colour matching)
HIGH LEVELS OF CUSTOMER SATISFACTION & RETENTION
- The changing room looks larger and more inviting
- The lyz for fashion mirror leaves customers feeling better thanks to the even lighting that prevents unsightly shadows over the face and body
- Realistic view – problem areas are not unduly focussed on (wrinkles, cellulite, veins, etc.), the customer feels more attractive and enjoys the shopping experience more
- There’s no need for the customer to leave the changing room to get an idea of what the item looks like in normal lighting
- Correct reflection of skin tone and clothing colouring – improves peace of mind and saves time when making the purchase decision
- Fewer exchanges because of buying the wrong colour garment
- Interactive shopping experience thanks to the changing room and mirror leads to better and longer-term relationship between the customer and the brand
IMAGE BOOST, EASIER SALES & INCREASED TURNOVER
- Lighting settings support the advice and perceived professionalism of the advice provided and of the store as a whole
- Creates another touchpoint and proximity to the customer – the seller can establish a connection with the customer by explaining the lighting options and how to operate the mirror
- Faster and easier sales advice thanks to the different lighting options
- Customer migration over to online shops can be prevented by this pleasant shopping experience; customers are no longer lost and make sales decisions in the store
- You effectively increase your sales as customers make faster and more positive sales decisions